Monday, May 21, 2012

Living the Dream




(I wrote this in my handwritten journal on July 23, 2011)

"Nature is the living, visible garment of God."

It amazes me how seamlessly new routines can weave themselves into the fabric of my everyday life.  Every morning I head out to the coop, greeted by the rooster’s crows, and the chirps and clucks of the hens to let them outside and give them fresh food and water.  While I do these simple chores, I add my voice to their chatter, reminding them once again what a bunch of spoiled brats they are.  My good-natured admonishments never seem to phase them or motivate them to improve their behavior. 

After receiving the rock star treatment from the cat and dogs when I return home from work, the next order of business is to check on the chickens.  They always rush to the fence when they see me coming and I’ve convinced myself it’s because they're happy to see me again too.

Around 9:30 p.m. or so, I make my last trip of the day to the coop to turn on the 15-watt red lamp that signals the encroaching darkness and that it’s time to get ready for bed, although for the past few weeks, most of the chickens have already been inside, settling themselves in for the night before I even get there.  I check their food and water fonts and perform the routine head count – two or three times for my peace of mind- and once I’m satisfied that all 26 are safely tucked away inside, I hang out a few minutes longer, just enjoying their company.  When it’s time, I prolong my leaving with a stream of “good-nights” and “I love you’s” before stepping outside and securing the door behind me.

From the moment these chickens came into my life when they were just one day old, I’ve known with absolute certainty that they were meant be here.  It was the most natural thing in the world for me to be raising these animals.  I received an inner confirmation to something I’d known all along—that this is what I should have been doing my entire life.  

A few people have expressed surprise at the way I’ve chosen to live my life and when I added chickens to the mix, I really threw them for a loop.  But for me, it’s just another mysterious piece of life’s puzzle clicking into place.  I was that girl raised in the city who always envisioned a rural life for herself.  I was the kid who constantly sought out the natural, green oasis within my urban existence, no matter how small.  The dream I’m living now was a seed planted long ago in my childhood and I took it with me when I left home after joining the Air Force.  It survived the death of my father when I was 18, a move across the country to Idaho and back, failed relationships, the loss of beloved pets and dear friends, and the joy and surprise of finally meeting and marrying the love of my life.  It was a dream that persevered even though I found myself having to pack up and re-establish myself in a new house or apartment every year or two when all I ever really wanted was a small piece of property to call my own where I could finally put down solid and permanent roots.

Now here I am—a 43 year old woman who owns three acres of property and a cottage sized house that is surrounded by miles of woods and awesome hiking trails.  I have my gardens, 26 egg laying chickens, a wonderful man to share my life, and four very spoiled dogs and a cat who have all helped me fulfill the dream and complete the puzzle.  I am content and at peace for the first time in a very long time.

Maybe next year at this time, I’ll be a raising a couple of dairy goats…





No comments:

Post a Comment