Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Labors of Love



May is going to be a busy month – that kind of crazy, happy busy that will fill all of my at-home moments with seed starting, garden bed preparations, and end of the month planting.  I’ll spring clean the chicken coop and begin work clearing out the wooded area right next door to their fenced-in enclosure so we can expand their playground.  My best friend is visiting at the end of the month for our annual greenhouse expedition and she’s tagging along with me to my first ever Fur and Feather Swap being held in Trenary on May 26th.  I’m also in the process of working my way through a knitted peasant shawl pattern and the lace border has been giving me fits (I had to start the entire project over again).  My goal is to finish this shawl with my patience and good nature intact and then knit several more to give as Christmas presents to some of the women in my family.   

I have three months worth of vacation time saved up (the last time I took an entire week off was when I got married in August 2007) so at the board meeting in March I proposed that from the beginning of May until the end of September my five day work week be reduced to four.  The motion passed unanimously.    

One extra day off each week may not sound like much, but spread out over the course of the summer and autumn months, they are invaluable to this baby homesteader.  Those extra 24 hours will allow me to get so much more accomplished and give me the time to hone new skills (baking bread, brewing mead, wild crafting, and becoming a MUCH better knitter, are just a few at the top of my list).



No comments:

Post a Comment